Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Should I Be Afraid?

One of my friends recently sent me a link to this article, published last week by the Wall Street Journal: The Race Even Marathoners Fear

I've run the first half of the course before (you can race either the first or second half, or the full), and yeah that hill leading up to the bridge is kind of a pain, but I really don't think the hills are that bad (and I think it helps that I've been training on hills).  I realize it may be stupid to think I can run faster now than I did in LA, which had a pretty big net elevation loss, but I'm pretty sure it will be a lot cooler, and I've put in a ton more miles and quality workouts leading up to this race.

Last week was a good one.  My foot seems totally fine, and I can't believe how comfortable I feel running mile repeats around 6:43.  I am kind of excited to focus on more speedwork once this race is over so I can do some shorter races through the fall (maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Summary of the week:

Monday - 90 minute Vinyasa yoga class
Tuesday - 7 @ 7:38 min/mile
Wednesday - 8 miles w/ 3 x 1 mile (6:43, 6:45, 6:41)
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 5 miles @ 7:23 min/mile
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 12 miles @ 8:35 min/mile

Total: 32 miles

3 comments:

  1. You are going to rock girl! You have been training so well! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to say i loved that article since sfm was my first marathon and i ran big sur also :) haha made me feel tough! sfm is a great course... just be ready for the 2nd "easier" half, the downhills can be very rough. your training has been great, i am sure you are going to kill it! when do you get in? i would love to meet up at the expo or something!! email me if you want (just reply to the comment). i have a race report too from august 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your foot is feeling better! Good luck at your race, you will do great. Your running is steady and your training pace is awesome!

    ReplyDelete