Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

LA Marathon Race Report


I'm not thrilled with the fact that I was about 7 minutes slower than my PR in LA, but I'm definitely grateful for the learning experience that the race provided. To sum up:
1. Drink early, drink often, and it's warmer than you think
2. Do more than 1 20+ mile run when training. And run more than 35 miles a week.
3. Don't let negative thoughts take over. You're stronger than you think.

Now for the details:

I was abnormally nervous for this race, and I slept horribly the night before. The alarm went off at 4:15, I ate my usual breakfast, and tried to drink some water, but I felt pretty sick to my stomach because of my crazy nerves.

We left the hotel at about 5:40 and got stuck in horrible traffic on the 110. Even the race shuttles were clearly going to be late for the 7:30 start. The longer we sat in traffic, the more nervous I got.



I got out of the car right as the gun went off, which meant I started behind EVERYONE. The whole first mile I wasted tons of energy trying to weave around people. Once we were out of the stadium I got into a rhythm and was feeling great. The first 10 miles flew by, and I went through the half at about 1:49, which was right where I wanted to be.



Then everything basically went to crap.

There was a dull ache in my quads and I could feel myself slowing slightly, but I kept pushing. Mike took my picture around mile 16, and within half a mile of this, I was falling of pace fast. My legs were getting heavier and I was starting to feel like I was going to faint. I started to walk. Miles 18 and 19 felt like they were never going to end. 20 and 21 were worse. I drank as much water as I could get my hands on, and then switched to PowerAde. While I was walking, I was basically just writing off the whole race, assuming I'd finish somewhere around 4:15. My legs were so heavy and dead I didn't see how I was going to run another step.

I don't know what happened once I saw the 23 mile marker in the distance, but somehow I forced myself to start running again, and actually began to feel a little better.  Chugging 2 cups of water per aid station probably had something to do with it, but I was happy with how fast I seemed to get to the 25 mile marker.  I told myself I just had 10 minutes to go, and tried to focus on anything but my legs, which were incredibly tired.  My IT band was also starting to hurt at this point.

I crossed the finish line at 3:54:00.  After being sure I would finish well past 4 hours, I was pleasantly surprised and  just SO happy to be done!

I definitely didn't train enough for this race.  I let myself get way too nervous, and I didn't drink enough in the early miles (it was a lot warmer than I was expecting).  I know San Francisco is a really tough course, but I'm just excited to run another marathon.  I'm going to take it easy this week and next, then start training to have a great race in SF!

3 comments:

  1. Even though you did not get the time you were going for, you still ran a great race. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this race wasn't what you wanted it to be, but way to sta strong and finish, your time is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might not have been what you hoped for but you made it through the race and even with walking made it in under 4hrs! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete