Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Directionless

I recently found out that registration for the half marathon I was planning on at the end of September had already closed, before I had a chance to sign up. It's really frustrating, but it seems like for most of the races here, you have to register a few weeks in advance. Add that to the fact that the websites are entirely in Korean (which I don't know), and you can see how it can be a little bit of a challenge to put together a race calendar.





With no races to train for, I started feeling a little directionless at the end of last week. I don't really need to build up my long runs on the weekends, and I don't really need to be doing speedwork, either. It's kind of nice having nothing to worry about training for, but being a Type-A person who needs plans and structure, it gets old pretty quickly.





Sorry to completely hippie-out for a moment, but I think that this is a really accurate metaphor for what's going on in my life right now. We're living in Korea, but beyond that, the future is really uncertain. But rather than stressing out and feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing with myself, I want to enjoy this experience day-by-day, rather than getting all worked up and stressed out over my lack of plans.





That's just what I'm doing with my running, too. Sunday morning, I woke up and headed down to the river with no watch and no expectations. I ended up running 7.5 miles at a pretty hard pace, and I felt freer than I have in awhile. This morning, I ran 3 miles in the rain, and it felt just right.





Are you the kind of person that always needs a plan? Or do you like to just let sit back and see where life takes you?

No comments:

Post a Comment